“My Number” Individual Number (Social Security and Tax Number) system

2015.10.01 (Thu)

(1) Individual Number mailing will begin in October!

◆ The “My Number” Individual Number system is about to begin in Japan.
◆ The Individual Numbers, each one unique to its holder, are important because they are required for procedures at municipal offices, etc.
◆ From October 2015 on, your municipality will mail an envelope to your residence (at the address registered therewith).
◆ The envelope contains a “Notification Card” with your Individual Number on it.

(2) Handle your Individual Number with care!

◆ Keep your Notification Card at hand and be careful not to throw it away or tear it.
◆ To avoid illegitimate use of your Individual Number, do not tell it to others except as required. 

(3) “Individual Number Cards” will be available!

◆ Your “Individual Number Card” also serves as an ID card bearing your Individual Number.
◆ In some municipalities, convenient options like having convenience stores issue residence certificates are available.
◆ To apply for an “Individual Number Card”, fill in and send back the application provided with the “Notification Card.”

(4) If you have any questions

◆ Go to the site below, or call the number below. You can also contact the municipal office of the town where you live (your municipality).

■ Web site
http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/english.html (English)
Other languages are also available.

■ Call center
0570-20-0291 (English / Chinese / Korean / Spanish / Portuguese)
[Until 30 September 2015]
 Monday – Friday 9:30 – 17:30 (not available on weekends or holidays)
[From 1 October 2015 through 31 March 2016]
 Monday – Friday 9:30 – 20:00 Weekends/holidays 9:30 – 17:30
※Not available during the New Year's holiday.
※Call charges will apply because these are Navi-Dial services.