Information for Foreigners – Entry・Visa Status・Alien Registration

■ Immigration Procedures

In Iwate, immigration procedures can be performed at the Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau, Morioka Branch Office.

■ Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau, Morioka Branch Office


〒020-0045 Morioka 2nd Godo Chosha (joint government building) 6F,
Morioka Eki Nishi Dori 1-9-15
     ※About 5 minutes` walk from Morioka Station East Entrance
Contact:TEL: 019-621-1206 FAX: 019-621-1207
Assigned Tasks:Resident inspection and port inspection
Office Hour:9:00~16:00 (except for Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays)

For information regarding entering or exiting Japan, visa status, and alien registration, please take a look at the Immigration Office's website: Immigration Procedures Guidebook

Additionally, the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR) also provides relevant information in the Multilingual Living Information website.

■ Consultation

■ Iwate Gyoseishoshi Lawyer's Association

Iwate Gyoseishoshi Lawyer's Association provides free consultations for foreigners once a month.
Iwate Gyoseishoshi Lawyer's Association website (Japanese)

■ Consultation for Foreigners (@ Iwate International Association)

If you wish to have a consultation in Morioka (Aiina), please call us at 019-654-8900 for reservations.
For more information, please see here.

■ Basic Resident Registration System

■ About the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Basic Resident Registration System for Foreign Residents」

Since the ”Partial Revision of the Residential Basic Book Act” was put into effect on July 9th, 2012, the basic resident registration system will also become applicable to foreign residents. Because of this, foreign residents will also receive a certificate of residence at their local municipality.
For details on “moving in” and “moving out” notices, which have become necessary for foreign residents, and on procedures for entering the country, please see the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications home page. Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Home Page”Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law”